Sunday, March 15, 2009

A Mile Marker...


Yesterday was a real mile marker for me (and Rob). We ran our first 8 miler! My legs were hurting at mile 2, and by mile 4 they were really burning. The last mile I hurt so bad I didn't care. We ended up sprinting the last half mile, and amazingly, finished with a time of 1:14:28. That's only 6 minutes longer than our 7 mile run!! We certainly were booking it good.

Up until this point in my training, I have looked at the runs in a very negative light. I have wanted to curl up into the couch and disappear rather than run my runs. For the past two weeks I have been on the fence about whether or not I should actually finish the training. I was about to quit yesterday (!) when my husband told me he was doing it with or without me. Well, I can't stand the thought of watching him cross that finish line knowing that I could be there with him! So from here on out, I am going to have a good attitude about this whole thing and actually try to ENJOY my runs!

My motivator for this week's run was my ipod. It was the first long run I had it with me, and it helped, shall we say, tremendously! I was sailing along listening to Dave Matthews, Evanesence and Incubus. I don't like real fast songs when I am running, because it makes me feel like I have to work too hard. Listening to softer music helps me pace myself and let my breathing become regular despite the fact that my legs are trudging out mile after mile in less than a 10 minute per mile pace.

1 comment:

Wiggs (The Beholder) said...

OMG, I can't believe that you're only a month into your training and you did an 8-mile run! So impressive. That's interesting about liking more mellow music while you're working out. Most of my runs are short enough that fast music is key, but I wonder if I'll want an easier tempo as my runs get longer and more exhausting.

Related Posts with Thumbnails