Saturday, March 21, 2009

Training Update: Running through the Pain


Today was our 9 miler and I collapsed after we finished. There I was heaving on the ground, grass in my mouth. I thought, I just ran 200 miles, because, quite frankly, that's what it felt like. I knew this run would be hard, seeing as I missed an entire week of training, but I didn't think it would THAT bad.

I was struggling about halfway through the run when the pain in my legs starting to ebb their way up to my brain. I thought, there's no way I am going to make it through! My husband, the wonderful athlete he is, was running at top speed and kept falling back to wait on me. He's so amazing! I really needed the extra push whenever he did that! By the time I reached mile 7, it wasn't about how my legs felt anymore, though there were throbbing beyond belief. I focused on just reaching another half mile mark, and had even rationalized in my mind a place to stop early. Amazingly, I pushed through that pain (and yes, I was grunting and heaving, actually screaming) and I finished with a respectable time of 1:25:30! I feel immobilzed for the rest of the day, but I am glad that I did it! It makes me feel like I can do anything!

I realized something after to talking to my oh so informative older sister that I need to make a change- in my diet that is. The pain from the run was more than just missing a week of training. It was from my poor eating habits, which seem to include quite a bit of pizza and not nearly enough fruit and vegetables. I might not be getting enough protein either, seeing as I hardly eat meat. So, I have decided to embark on a 6 week makeover diet and see if the change might drastically improve my mood and my energy on runs.

Here's the deal:
-I will start each day off with a nutritional shake. This might be fruit, veggies or protein.
-I will eat 5 meals a day
-I will cut my calorie intake, while simultaneously upping the amount of food I actually consume.
-I will start to incorporate strength training to supplement my runs.

So, off I go to plan those meals and my shopping for the first week! Wish me luck! If anyone has any suggestions, please leave a comment!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails