Saturday, June 6, 2009

Writing Goals, Ehow and Publication

So far, I've been really productive on some of the items on my goal list. However, I think I was being a little overambitious when I told myself I would write on the weekends just as hard. If today is any indication, then that is simply not going to happen. I am still 20 or pages from my goal mark in my novel, but doing good. As far as daily article quota, I'm doing fairly good on that as well. However, for the past three days, I have been trying to get myself to work on my feature article for a magazine. It's been pretty ugly. I'm only half-way through and view the actual writing of it to be tedious, so I put it off. Another day goes by, and I put it off again. Let's hope I can get over this, suck it in and just write the darn thing! If its accepted, then I should make a nice sum from it (what I consider a nice sum to be anyway!).

I've spent a lot of time the past few days exploring the phenomenon that is eHow.com. I've started writing articles for this site (none of them take me very long, so I'll spend an hour doing 2 articles or so each day) and learning about how it works. So far, with 13 articles I've earned a whopping $2.88. Since its only been a week, I am going to keep doing it for the rest of the month and see what happens. I've heard some great success stories from users at eHow.com, but I've also heard some fishy horror stories. I don't want to spend too much time writing for them if I don't get a return on it. Since I'm not really expecting to get much compensation for these articles, I'm veiwing them as practice sessions. Warm-ups, if you will. Also, I've heard that eHow periodically deletes articles, so I'm going to start saving them directly into my own personal files. Maybe one day I'll get an idea for a feature article or story from them.

Some promising news is that I have an article accepted for real, live print publication in July. I am much more excited about this than my online publishing, because it will be going into the homes of every resident in my home-town! How cool is that? So, although I will continue to dabble with online content writing, I think my real niche is in magazines.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails