Monday, October 5, 2009

Banana Bread

My very first bread I ever baked was banana bread with my old college roommate. I don't like bananas, but I fell in love with this bread! Since then, I have been storing bad bananas in the freezer and regularly baking up a batch. When served fresh with a dab of butter, it makes for a wonderful snack or quick breakfast. If you prefer, substitute a muffin pan for banana bread muffins.

Ingreeds:

1/2 cup shortening
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 cups flour
1/4 tsp. salt
3 crushed bananas
(optional) 1 cup nuts [or chocolate chips!]

Directions:
  1. Cream the shortening and sugar in large mixing bowl.
  2. Beat eggs in small bowl and add to sugar mix.
  3. Add in remaining ingredients
  4. Pour in sprayed and floured loaf pan and bake at 350 degrees for 50-60 minutes (or 20 minutes for muffins)
Using fresh bananas will result in a sweeter and more distinct flavor, but I prefer the old bananas. If your bananas start to go bad, simply throw them in the freezer for future breads! When ready to use them, nuke them in the microwave for a little less than a minute to soften and defreeze them. (note: they will turn black in the freezer- this is ok!)

Store in a bread box or aluminum foil for immediate consumption. Wrap in foil to freeze.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails